Sunday, September 30, 2012

Letters from Home: Learning Contentment

I have a fat envelope of letters and postcards from many of you this summer. I looked forward to getting those letters this summer like a 5-year-old on Christmas Eve. Thank you so much. Your wit and love helped me through the low points and the lonely times. If I may without boring all y'all, I'd like to share an excerpt from a letter my dad sent me right before I left the farm on contentment which I found particularly timely on one afternoon when I just wanted to leave:

"Not even much of a gay time with customers at the cash register [Dad works at the local grocery store]. But most days are so. And there is perhaps more to learn and to grow in by these kind of days. How to be satisfied takes a lot of learning in many different places. Perhaps that's why I think a clear eye is so important; beauty has it's place in every satisfaction. A hurried mind and impatience makes us blind."

Thanks for that reminder, Dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment