But the heat aside, my first trip to New York was fantastic. Some highlights in no particular order:
- Camping out like a hobo behind an elementary school hiding from the sun and waiting for the megabus
- The Hungarian Bakery two blocks from Betsy's apartment at which I almost made myself sick on baklava and rum balls. #noregrets
- Late-night walks down to Fancy Fare or Fine Fare or whatever the corner grocery was called, watching Harlemites livin' up their 4th of July holidays with sidewalk fireworks and carrying on life as usual over the pound of the boombox plugged into a street lamp.
- Spending our 4th at the Apollo Theater Amateur Night in Harlem where the likes of Ella Fitzgerald and Michael Jackson were discovered.
- We also saw some fantastic urban art:
Spending time together was the best part, of course.