Sunday, July 22, 2012

And now for dessert

Here's a delicious recipe I invented last night which basically qualifies as the worlds best dessert because a) it contains only honey, no refined sugar, b) no refined grain, c) coconut oil is really good for you, and d) it tastes amazing. Ye who look askance at healthy desserts will love this, I promise or your money back, guaranteed. It's also gluten-free and dairy-free, so even my Mom can eat it.  It has no name at present, but if you come up with a good one, you win a free meal next time you come and visit me.  I wish I had pictures... but no.

Ingredients:
- polenta thinly sliced
- coconut milk
- honey

Heat your oven to 400 degrees or so and cook the thin slices of polenta on a lightly oiled cookie sheet (very lightly oiled or non-stick). You want them to be very crispy on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside. This may take a half an hour or so. Read a book or eat dinner while it cooks.

Just when the polenta is ready, heat a heavy frying pan or an iron skillet up very hot and then throw in the coconut milk. Panic as the delicious goodness of the coconut milk begins to hiss and boil away to nothing. After you swear and tear drawers apart looking for an  oven mitt (because the handle is goshdarn hot as pan-makers have not yet discovered that consumers want to cook only food and not their hands), pull the pan off the flame and pour the now-thickened and toasty coconut milk into some container that will not melt. This whole process should take about 15 seconds or you didn't heat the pan enough.

Take the polenta out of the oven, arrange them on a plate and pour--don't drizzle--the coconut milk all over it. Finish off with flourish of honey to taste. Enjoy.

I discovered this dessert by accident last night when I found my self craving something sweet but lacking any normal ingredients except some leftover coconut milk from curry I made the night before and polenta which I had just eaten with the world's best pasta sauce which I had simmered up from tomatoes the crows had pecked apart, and our fresh basil and garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment